Scariest moment of my life so far...it started out just another Tuesday. We woke up, we ate breakfast, and I tried to work on the house stuff. Leah's friend came over to play and they all wanted chicken nuggets for lunch so I decided to take them to McDonald's and then to the park to play. We got home from the park and the kids decided to go out on the deck to ride bikes/scooters, etc.
I was sitting at my computer watching out the window...I saw Owen playing in his Little Tikes car (see pic and pretend it's Owen)...I saw Owen get pushed while sitting in the car and I started to go tell Leah's friend not to push the car anymore...and then I realized how fast he was going and then he hit the rails and I took off running through the house. He never even saw it coming as his blanket was thrown over the top of car so it covered up the front and side views. As I am writing this I have to keep stopping otherwise my heart pounds and I start to shake all over again...I ran down the hallway, out the back door, down the stairs and finally around the deck; I should probably tell you now that our deck is about 10-12 feet high. I barely remember what it looked like...I remember pulling him out of the car and laying him on his blanket to check for blood or protruding bones; he was not knocked unconscious, I heard him crying while I was running to him. His nose was bleeding and he was reaching for me to pick him up; I scooped him up, walked up the stairs as quickly as I could with Owen moaning the whole time...the phone rang right when I walked in the door. I laid Owen on the couch and grabbed the phone, upon seeing that it was Jeff, the first words out of my mouth were "You have leave work now and meet me at the hospital!" I quickly told him what happened and hung up. I told the kids to get my keys, purse and shoes, they quickly complied and I scooped Owen up again and left to take him to the hospital. I was shaking so hard but at the same time trying to keep calm enough to drive; on the way there I called Mom and told her to meet me at the hospital to take the other kids. Owen whimpered the whole way there, Leah kept saying "I hope he's okay", Leah's friend apologized and Matthew was concerned with what we should do for him when he gets home. When we got there I drove around the parking lot twice before I found a parking lot...I told the kids to get out of the car quickly while I got Owen out. He moaned and cried as I was walking quickly through the lot; poor Matthew was walking so fast that he ran into a parked car and fell over and as much as I wanted to take the time to love him I knew Owen needed to get inside the emergency room. When I got in I almost stood in the line to get checked in but knew I couldn't. I got somebody's attention and told them what happened...they had me sit down and Jeff walked in a moment later. A nurse took Owen and I back to a room where I could lay him down so she could check him over while Jeff stayed out with the other kids to get him checked in. Jeff came back within a few moments and the nurse started to check Owen out from head to toe...he cried when she touched his right thigh. Mom got there a few moments later to get the other kids, I asked her to call Leahs' friends' mom. She gave Owen a quick love and then left.
They moved us into another room and the doctors and nurses started coming in and out; they brought in a portable x-ray machine for x-rays of his chest and then his leg; they took him over to get a CT on his head, chest and belly; his right leg was put in traction and then we waited. They told us the CT was all clear, big sigh of relief, no head trauma or internal bleeding, but his right femur was broken and it looked like he would need surgery. There was not an orthopedic doctor who had enough experience with kids at this hospital so we would have to go to the children's hospital so now we have to wait for confirmation from the closer of the 2 children's hospital that a doctor was available to do what needed to be done. Then we waited for the ambulance to get there; Jeff went home to get our cell phone chargers because of our phones had died; the ambulance got there and I took my second trip in an ambulance over to the children's hospital.
Jeff met us there with some food and then we waited some more because the first hospital sent over the wrong information. Once they got the right info for Owen it was decided that he would get a hip spica cast, so they moved us to another area and started getting ready to put his cast on. They told us the cast would cover his whole abdomen, his entire right leg to the ankle and down to his knee on the left leg; what they didn't tell us was that his legs would put into a sort of sitting postion (see pic). They used a sedative and he slept through the whole casting process...once he was done they made sure he woke up a little bit, took a few sips of apple juice or water and then sent us home with a special car seat to allow for the awkward cast, care instructions for the cast and directions to bring him in a week later for another x-ray to make sure his bone is staying in the right postition.
They moved us into another room and the doctors and nurses started coming in and out; they brought in a portable x-ray machine for x-rays of his chest and then his leg; they took him over to get a CT on his head, chest and belly; his right leg was put in traction and then we waited. They told us the CT was all clear, big sigh of relief, no head trauma or internal bleeding, but his right femur was broken and it looked like he would need surgery. There was not an orthopedic doctor who had enough experience with kids at this hospital so we would have to go to the children's hospital so now we have to wait for confirmation from the closer of the 2 children's hospital that a doctor was available to do what needed to be done. Then we waited for the ambulance to get there; Jeff went home to get our cell phone chargers because of our phones had died; the ambulance got there and I took my second trip in an ambulance over to the children's hospital.
Jeff met us there with some food and then we waited some more because the first hospital sent over the wrong information. Once they got the right info for Owen it was decided that he would get a hip spica cast, so they moved us to another area and started getting ready to put his cast on. They told us the cast would cover his whole abdomen, his entire right leg to the ankle and down to his knee on the left leg; what they didn't tell us was that his legs would put into a sort of sitting postion (see pic). They used a sedative and he slept through the whole casting process...once he was done they made sure he woke up a little bit, took a few sips of apple juice or water and then sent us home with a special car seat to allow for the awkward cast, care instructions for the cast and directions to bring him in a week later for another x-ray to make sure his bone is staying in the right postition.
We got home around 2 in the morning and went straight to bed. The next day we started adjusting to this major event.
No comments:
Post a Comment